Monday, September 19, 2011

The Art of Writing


Although I do have some talent with drawing, my true passion lies in the art of writing.  I always thought that technology would be unhelpful when it came to my writing, possibly even hindering to it.  Other than typing a story, I would never rely on a computer and would concentrate only on my own imagination.  However, I have discovered that this is not always the case.  I recently stumbled upon an advertisement on facebook appealing to writers to submit their work to a contest.  I had never heard of this particular contest before, but I felt that I had nothing to lose, so I submitted a poem that I had written called "The Spiral of Descent."  I did not expect to have any success with this poem, since I had not spent much time on it.  To my surprise, however, I received a letter saying that the poem was being published.  Never will I doubt the power of technology again.


The Spiral of Descent

No longer a fantasy safe in my head,
Reality hurls itself towards me;
A trajectory
That can never be altered again.
I pray to return to the land of sweet ignorance.

Now here I stand,
A hermit crab robbed of its shell,
Forsaken of shelter,
And now the ground quivers beneath me.

I enter the Spiral of Descent.

But there was one thing not left behind
In that brilliant coiled casing,
Not stolen from me,
Not abandoned me.
I pull The Strength
From the confines of my pocket,
Raise it high above my head,
Grip it tight,
And march proudly into the eye
Of the Spiral of Descent.

No comments:

Post a Comment